April 15, 2021
1) Google has a secret blocklist that hides YouTube hate videos from advertisers — but it’s full of holes.
If you want to find YouTube videos related to “KKK” to advertise on, Google Ads will block you. But the company failed to block dozens of other hate and White nationalist terms and slogans, an investigation by The Markup has found.
Using a list of 86 hate-related terms we compiled with the help of experts, we discovered that Google uses a blocklist to try to stop advertisers from building YouTube ad campaigns around hate terms. But less than a third of the terms on our list were blocked when we conducted our investigation.
Google Ads suggested millions upon millions of YouTube videos to advertisers purchasing ads related to the terms “White power,” the fascist slogan “blood and soil,” and the far-right call to violence “racial holy war.”
5) Apple refuses request to testify for Senate app store hearing – ‘We strongly urge Apple to reconsider its position,’ the senators said
6) “I called off my wedding. but the internet will never forget“.
8) New WhatsApp features make it easier to buy and sell.
9) China gets serious about antitrust, fines Alibaba $2.75B.
10) Facebook takes down 16,000 groups trading fake reviews after another poke by UK’s CMA.
11) Why Google often treats 302 redirects as 301 redirects.
12) In-store shopping up 28.5% since start of 2021.
13) AliExpress: how to find a business niche or change it when your store is already running.
15) How Tinder created an apocalyptic, choose-your-own-adventure love story for gen Z.
Image: The IPL 2021 auction
More insights to explore…
New faces & animal bros: Search Engine Journal takes on 2021.
Quora: Creative Best Practices for a successful campaign.
Have an awesome day!
— Itay Paz