SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
The Google Page Experience: What You Need to Know and Five Steps to Prepare for Next Year
Page experience metric is going to be a new addition to Google’s ranking factors in 2021. Here’s how to prepare for it.
* Google page experience metric goes live in 2021.
* Rewarding pages that offer a better user experience.
* The signal measures a site’s performance, security, and mobile friendliness.
* To prepare for 2021, get a fast web hosting service, optimize your content for mobile users, and install security measures (firewall, SSL, etc.).
* Avoid pop-ups and whole screen banners that restrict the visitors’ access to content.
* The newest search ranking benchmark that’s cooking in Google’s development lab is the Google page experience metric.
In short, this upcoming metric aims to measure (and rank) the overall responsiveness and user experience of websites that show up in Google’s search results.
Google plans to introduce this metric alongside the current ranking factors. However, there isn’t an exact date announced when this metric goes live.
As Google’s developers officially state in their blog:
“The ranking changes [Google page experience] described in this post will not happen before next year , and we will provide at least six months’ notice before they’re rolled out.”
You still have plenty of time to react. However, we suggest planning and implementing some of the best practices as soon as possible.
Let’s take a look at what you can expect from this ranking update and how you can prepare your site from the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) perspective.
Elements of the Google page experience metric
Google is mainly building the new metric upon the Core Web Vitals that their Chrome team launched earlier this year.
The overall goal with Google’s page experience metric is to ensure the Google Search users are getting a mobile-friendly, safe, and straightforward browsing experience.
Let’s look at each element that contributes to the page experience metric.
- Core Web Vitals
- Mobile-friendly site
- No intrusive interstitials
Read more here.