How to Become a Content Marketing Specialist?
Discover how to become a content marketing specialist enabling you to get the professional knowledge to nail one of the most demanded jobs in the world.
This guide will show you exactly how to become a content marketing specialist.
I’ve been working as a content marketing manager for the last 10 years and in this guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about starting a career in content marketing.
I will explain what a content marketing specialist is, what skills are needed to become one, what jobs you can get, and how much money you can make as a content marketing expert.
* What is a Content Specialist?
* What Skills Should a Content Marketing Specialist Know?
* How Do You Become a Content Specialist?
* How Much do Content Specialists Make?
* What Jobs can you get as a Content Marketing Expert?
* What is a Content Specialist?
A content specialist (also known as a “Content Marketing Specialist”) is the person responsible for writing, editing, and developing content for the needs of digital campaigns.
Content marketing specialists work in close co-operation with the SEO and Digital marketing professionals to ensure that the produced content is aligned with the overall goals of a digital marketing campaign.
Depending on the skills and experience, the content marketing specialist role has different variations.
For big companies, this also defines the career path of a content marketing professional.
The most important are:
1) Content Marketing Specialist – Researching and writing content (copywriting).
2) Content Marketing Strategist – Designing the overall content marketing strategy of a company.
3) Content Marketing Manager or Content Marketing Director – Responsible for the smooth running of the content marketing department.
4) Content Marketer and Content Marketing Expert – professionals with years of experience in content marketing campaigns. May work in a company or as freelancers.
5) Content Marketing Consultant – Established content marketing experts who provide consultancy on how businesses can use content marketing to increase their traffic and sales.
What Skills Should a Content Marketing Specialist Know?
To become a content marketing specialist, you need to have the following qualifications and skills:
1) College Degree – Optional if you plan to work as a freelancer but a requirement if you want to work in a company. Usually, it is required to have a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, or communications.
2) Content Marketing Certification – Optional but can increase your chances of finding a job when you have no experience or success stories to showcase in your CV. The best way to get certified is to follow a content marketing course.
3) Writing Skills – A large portion of your time will be spent in content writing (whether this is blog posts, video scripts, or ad copies), and thus is important to have basic writing skills and of course enjoy writing!
4) Keyword Research Skills – Writing for the web starts with a keyword. To succeed as a content specialist, you need to know how to do keyword research to find out the content needs of online users so that you can create content to satisfy their intent.
5) Basic SEO Skills – If you work as part of a content marketing or digital marketing team, then most probably the SEO specialist will take care of optimizing the content for the web but nevertheless, it is necessary to have some basic SEO and SEO writing skills.
If you plan to work as a copywriter or content marketing freelancer, then you need to know how SEO blog writing works and how to create SEO optimized content.
Web analytical skills – This is a critical skill for content marketing managers and consultants. They know to know how to analyze the data and effectiveness of a campaign and how to create reports to present their findings to the management or clients.
How Do You Become a Content Specialist?
These are the steps to follow to become a content marketing specialist:
1) Understand what content marketing is and how it works.
2) Improve your writing skills.
3) Learn how to use content marketing tools.
4) Master the keyword research process.
5) Learn SEO copywriting.
6) Start your own blog.
7) Apply to work in a digital marketing agency.
8) Work as a content marketing freelancer.
9) Publish your written work on reputable websites.
10) Stay current with the latest trends in content marketing.
Read more here.